【2021 Spring Semester International Student Admission Application Information】
Spring semester application〔Master/PhD Program〕starts
Spring semester application closes
Admission results announcement and online registration
Letter of Admission is mailed out
Orientation for international new students / School Opening / Enrollment
Application Deadline: November 1st, 2020
I. A person of foreign nationality who has never held Republic of China (“R.O.C.”) nationality and who does not have overseas Chinese student status at the time of their application is permitted to apply for admission to an educational institution, in accordance with these Regulations.
II. A person of foreign nationality who meets the following requirements and who in the immediate past has resided overseas continuously for at least six years is also permitted to apply for admission to an educational institution, in accordance with these Regulations. However, a person who plans to apply to study in a university department of medicine, dentistry, or Chinese medicine must have resided overseas continuously for at least eight years.
1. A person who at the time of their application also holds dual R.O.C. nationality shall have never had household registration in Taiwan.
2. A person who before the time of their application also held dual R.O.C. nationality but no longer does at the time of their application shall have renounced their R.O.C. nationality with the approval of the Ministry of the Interior on a date at least eight full years before making their application.
3. The persons referred to in the preceding two subparagraphs must have never previously undertaken studies in Taiwan as an overseas Chinese student nor have accepted a placement by the University Entrance Committee for Overseas Chinese Students in the current academic year.
III. A foreign national who was selected by a foreign government, organization, or school to study in Taiwan in accordance with the Education Cooperation Framework Agreement, and who has never had household registration in Taiwan may be given exemption from the restrictions set out in the preceding two paragraphs if the competent education administrative authority gives approval.
1. The periods of six years and eight years stipulated in Paragraph 2 shall be calculated using the starting date of the semester (February 1, or August 1) as the end date of the period.
2. The term “overseas” used in Paragraph 2 refers to countries or regions other than the Mainland Area, Hong Kong, and Macau; the term “reside overseas continuously” means that an international student has stayed in Taiwan for no more than a total of 120 days in each calendar year. When calculating the number of consecutive years spent overseas, if the initial or final year of the period is not a complete calendar year, any time spent in Taiwan in the initial or final year must not exceed 120 days.
IV. However, time that a person has spent in Taiwan is not subject to this restriction and it is not counted when calculating how long they were in Taiwan in a particular year if the person has documentary proof that they:
1. Attended an overseas youth training course organized by the Overseas Compatriot Affairs Council or a technical professional training program accredited by the Ministry of Education;
2. spent a total period of less than two years undertaking Chinese language classes at a Chinese language center at a university or tertiary college which has Ministry of Education approval to recruit students overseas;
3. spent a total period of less than two years in Taiwan as an exchange student; or
4. spent a total period of less than two years undertaking an internship that they came to Taiwan to undertake with the approval of the designated central competent authority;
V. A person who held both foreign and R.O.C. nationalities and applied for annulment of their R.O.C. nationality before the date of effect of the February 1, 2011 amendment to these Regulations may apply for admission as an international student in accordance with the provisions in place before the amendment and is not subject to the restrictions set out in Paragraph 2.
There is no application fee for international students. However, applicants are required to submit the completed application before November 1st, 2020. Late submissions will not be considered for Spring semester 2021 admission. All of the following items should be submitted at the same time via NKUST Online Application System for International Students.
One completed application form
Certificate of Nationality (passport, residence certificate).
Academic credentials from Mainland China: The regulations governing the accreditation of schools in Mainland China shall apply.
Academic credentials from Hong Kong or Macao: Academic credential verification and accreditation methods adopted in Hong Kong or Macao shall apply.
Academic credentials from other areas:
(a) Photocopied certificate of current highest-level diploma and original transcript (A copy of Chinese or English translation shall be submitted if in a language other than Chinese or English) must be authenticated by the ROC embassy, consulate office, or Taipei Economic & Culture Office of the country in which the applicant resides (Refer to Note 4).
(b) Applicants who are graduating students without the proper diploma certificates at the time of application should provide upon enrollment the official diploma certificates for verification. Applicants should provide high school diploma for undergraduate studies, bachelor’s degree diploma for graduate studies, and master’s degree diploma for doctoral studies.
(c) Once admitted, students must provide original copies of diploma certificates for review upon registration.
(d) Translation of certified copies of diploma certificates MUST be authenticated by the school from which students graduated and by the ROC embassy, consulate office, or Taipei Economic & Culture Office of the country in which the student resides.
“ROC representative offices abroad” refers to ROC embassies, consulates, representative offices, trade offices, or other agencies authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of ROC
One Official Transcripts
(a) This must be authenticated by the school/college/university from which students graduated and by the ROC embassy, consulate office, or Taipei Economic & Culture Office of the country in which the student resides. In addition, the transcript must bear the official seal of the institute issuing the transcript.
(b) Applicants for Ph.D. programs should include undergraduate course transcripts.
The applicant must show documented evidence that sufficient funds to cover all tuition, fees and living expenses are available for the first year of their studies at NKUST, by one of the following means:
(a) A photocopy of scholarship award notification (scholarship award notification is certified by Taiwan government not by NKUST) .
(b) An official bank statement is required and should be issued in English/Chinese (dated within the last 3 months). In the case the bank statement is not issued in the name of the applicant, a signed declaration must be provided from the sponsor. In the declaration it should clearly state the sponsor’s relationship with the applicant and commitment to cover the applicant’s all expenses in Taiwan.
The Certificate of Nationality Renouncement of Republic of China is required for applicants who have once held Republic of China citizenship. The date of renouncement must be longer than 8 years prior to school start date.
At least one letter of Recommendation.
Certificate of English proficiency.
Certificate of Mandarin proficiency. (Optional)
Other materials required by specific departments/institutes.
* Incomplete application packets will not be considered.
If you have any questions, please contact: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to receive your registration email successfully, we would suggest you use Gmail instead of such emails like yahoo, PChome, and Hotmail.
Please check your “Advertising Email Folder” or “Spam Folder” if you have not received the registration email after creating a new account.
If you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.